Image Map

Words of wisdom

May 08, 2013

">Day 8 of the Blog Every Day in May challenge has us giving a piece of advice to others. Since college graduation is right around the corner for many, I will give what I have learned 10 years (seriously?? I'm feeling old) ago from my college graduation.

1. Enjoy your moment in the graduation sun. My dad gave me this piece of advice on my graduation day in 2003. He said, "Enjoy today. Tomorrow you will be another college graduate looking for a job."

2. Be realistic in your job search. You have that shiny diploma hanging on your wall, but so do other people. Getting that first professional job takes time even in a decent economy, with the current economic climate it will take longer. Just keep at it and you find something.

3. Take the time to travel if possible. When I graduated I was working my old retail job so I was able to take off to visit DC for the first time when my parents went there for a convention. Free hotel stay, not a bad deal.

4. Don't worry if you don't have your career all figured out. Honestly for most people you will make several career changes through your lifetime. Try a field or job out. If you don't like it, you can always know that you tried.


3 comments:

  1. I really needed to read this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great advice!!! I so wish I could travel more :) And you are right about not always knowing what you're meant to do.

    I didn't go to college for that reason alone. I STILL don't know what I want to do...

    It's so hard trying to justify what you would be good at as a whole and what would make you happy on top of it... :)

    Great advice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe I will ever find one job or career to fulfill me for the rest of my life. I'm starting to think that it is not realistic for most people. At least not for me. I have too many darn interests.

      Delete