Image Map

Where I Come From

September 03, 2013

I really enjoyed participating in Jenni's Blog Every Day in May challenge and so I'm excited that she is hosting another blog challenge this month. The prompt is to describe where we come from as a person. Great prompt.

I come from hard working parents who left Puerto Rico for better career opportunities for my father after he graduated from law school. My mom was the first in her family to graduate college, so my parents raised my sister and I with the belief that if you want something in life, you will have to work hard for it.  Even to this day I believe that life does not owe us anything and if you want to succeed it is going to take hard work. I was also raised to fully embrace my Hispanic roots. My parents made sure I learned to speak Spanish at an early age and that I grew up with the traditions of their island. Being a first-generation Hispanic American I straddle both cultures on a daily basis. I wouldn't have it any other way.


I come from a place that is overshadowed by a talking mouse and dubbed the happiest place on earth. Growing up in Orlando is probably a kid's dream, but the reality is quite different. I remember being in the third grade when we got pen pals from a third grade class in Pennsylvania. My teacher had instructed us to write about what we liked to do and to ask our pen pals what they did for fun in PA. When we got our letters all the Pennsylvania kids kept asking about Disney. Did we go there everyday? Could we get them tickets? This was the first time I realized the perception of my hometown to outsiders. What is funny is that even today when I travel outside of Florida I get those same questions from adults. Most locals have at least one friend or family member that works for Disney. That is how we get into Disney for free. This is how my parents were able to take us once a year for the first 12 years of my life. So I became over the Disney experience at a younger age. I don't have the best relationship with my hometown, even at an early age I knew this place didn't quite fit. I have left twice, once to go to college in Tallahassee and in 2007 I left for Worcester, MA and lasted a full year there. Orlando is a city that caters to tourists. We have 3 major theme parks and 99% of tourists never venture outside of Disney property. To say my home city lacks culture is an understatement. We have some cool places to eat and hang out, but you really have to look for them. I have always felt geographically displaced. We have talked in length about leaving this city and hopefully in 2 years that will be a reality. I leave you with photos of my some of my favorite parts of Orlando. (Photos courtesy of yourorlando.com)





3 comments:

  1. These blog every day challenges look like fun!

    I love Orlando so much! Such a variety of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish more visitors would venture outside the theme parks. We have some cool little places outside of the tourist zone.

      Delete
  2. I like the new look of the blog! I've been basically MIA all summer.

    And I can see what you mean about Orlando. Having visited (and actually craving to visit again... it's just so vacationey!), I don't think I ever could see myself calling it home. It just doesn't have a homey feel to it, probably since it is meant for tourists? Where do you think you'll head?

    ReplyDelete