Image Map

She said I think I'll go to Boston

September 10, 2013

Today's Blogtember prompt was to describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn.
*Bonus points if you know the song my blog title is in reference to.

On an early May weekday evening in 2006 I had come from a destressing yoga class when I looked at my phone to see a voicemail from my boyfriend. He had been acting distant since the previous weekend and my insides started tightening up when I thought about calling him back. Reluctantly I pressed dial on the phone and braced myself for what was to come. An hour later he showed up to my apartment with my favorite strawberry-banana smoothie in hand. As I glanced down at the Planet Smoothie cup all I could think was that this ass actually brought me a consolation smoothie. Hey Denise sorry I'm about to break up with you, but please enjoy this smoothie. My gut instinct was right and two hours later he walked out of my apartment for the last time. This is not the distinct moment; no this is the catalyst for the moment in which my life took a life changing turn.

This particular break up hit me hard. I remember not wanting to leave my apartment and barely eating. It also brought ideas into my head of escaping Florida once and for all. I wanted to go somewhere new that wasn't littered with memories from the past 25 years of my life. I wanted to escape my pain. So after 2 years of teaching I had decided that I wanted to get a master's degree in school counseling. My original major was psychology with plans to become a family counselor so this idea of mine didn't appear to be too far-fetched. My dad's side of the family had a few of them living in Worcester and one of them had strong alumni connections to Assumption College. So I started researching the idea of going to graduate school at Assumption and living up there. It seemed like a great plan at the time. I had been to Boston for the first time the year before and loved it. That spring break I took my first solo trip ever to tour the school and get the lay of the land.

I took this picture after arriving in Worcester, MA for the first time

As I walked around Boston bundled up in my Florida version of winter clothing, I felt the love for the city all over again. I thought to myself, now is the time to venture out of my Orlando comfort zone. The next morning I got up early to take the train from Boston to Worcester to see my potential new city. Growing up in a city with no real public transportation (I'm not counting our lackluster bus system) I felt so adult taking the train. Less than a hour later I got off the train and into what six months later would become my new home. Moving away from everything and everyone that is familiar is not for the   weak. My year living in Massachusetts was arguably one of the toughest years I have experienced. I encountered many challenges from being the lone outsider in my program, feeling isolated in a new city, and the harsh New England winter that taught this Florida girl how to shovel a car out of snow. The girl who walked around Boston that March day grew into the independent and strong woman that I am today. So I will always have love for Boston.
                                            A selfie in my Boston hotel room 2007.


3 comments:

  1. Isn't it just one of those things that even though it was hard, you were so glad you did? I feel like sometimes the hard things are the most shaping, and also the most revealing of who you are and what you can handle. I'm glad for you that you took that leap, and that you got a yummy smoothie to start things off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh the winters are the worst there (i'm from there)
    good for you for making that move for a bit, too many people never take a chance :)

    ReplyDelete