Image Map

First impressions aren't always right

July 18, 2013

So I have decided to participate in Two Thirds Hazel and One to Nothin's Flirting with Disaster Link Up. Hey, they said us old married ladies could share our stories from our pre ball and chain days, so here I am.

I first met my now husband back in the summer of 2006. I had just been dumped by my boyfriend of 10 months and was taking it pretty badly. By pretty badly I mean crying, not wanting to leave the house, and basically just throwing myself a pity party. My best friend was trying to get me to go to an old mutual friend's birthday party that weekend. The three of us went to high school together and had been reconnected due to the beauty that was once MySpace, and Tom had invited us to his birthday celebration. So after much prompting by Liz I made myself look presentable and decided that a night out might just be what I need to lift me out of my post break up funk.

As Liz and I walked into the smoky, dive bar where everyone was meeting up for drinks before dinner i couldn't help but notice this one guy out of Tom's group of friends. He was loud. Really loud. He was cracking sarcastic jokes that I swear the whole bar must have heard due to the overwhelming volume of his voice. Liz and I kept cracking jokes to ourselves on how he was the shortest guy in the group and yet he was the loudest. Honestly I do remember that I found some of his jokes funny and it was the first time in 3 weeks that I had really laughed. The plan was to play some darts, chat, and grab beers before heading out to the Olive Garden for the birthday dinner. When we got to the restaurant I somehow ended up sitting next to the loud guy.

Loud guy starts conversation with me and we get on the topic of sports teams. I love me some football, especially the college variety, and I bleed garnet and gold for my Florida State Seminoles. I don't exactly remember what he said but he was making fun of my Noles and I just wasn't having that. I kept shooting Liz that "please help me" look across the table. Eventually I just ignored him and moved on with the rest of the evening.

A year later for the same friend's birthday, I met loud guy again. This time he seemed more subdued, so I actually started talking to him and found him to be fun, smart, and funny. We became a couple a few months later and have been married for 8 months now. Ours is a story that shows how first impressions don't always tell the whole story. Oh, and yes he knows this story.



4 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet story actually!

    Jan Loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww that's adorbz.. I guess I'll let it slide that you're a 'nole because of it. ;) Orange and blue all the way, baby!! Thanks for linking up! Such a sweet story. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh the beloved Gator/Nole rivalry. At least we can agree that the Hurricanes suck lol.

      Delete
  3. I definitely believe first impressions aren't always right. Especially because I don't even remember meeting my husband for the first time!

    ReplyDelete