Image Map

Saturday in Baltimore

July 28, 2014

 This past week has been a little hard on me with all the stress on the job front. I thought I had a promising second interview (they even gave me a tour of the place) and yet I received the dreaded rejection email. I must be spoiled because 99% of the time back in Orlando when I got a second interview it meant I had the job. Ty decided that a trip to see Poe's grave and old house in Baltimore
would be a fun distraction. Neither of us had been there before and it is only 40 miles away, so why not?

Ameliorer la Vie

Edgar Allan Poe's house is listed as being located in a "challenging" neighborhood on the website. Challenging is a polite way of saying that it is located in a rough part of town. If you go park as close by to the house as you can and just be vigilant. I have loved Poe's writing since I was in middle school and he was one of my favorite authors to teach when I used to teach. The actual house is quite small and can only hold a small group of visitors at a time. As a literary nerd I loved walking in the house where he wrote some of his poems and stories before his death.



A true Poe nerd can't leave Baltimore without making a pilgrimage to his grave site. The lovely people at the Poe house actually will give you directions to the grave, which is about 8 blocks away in downtown Baltimore.

What would a trip to Baltimore be without devouring some crab cakes? I researched a little on where to get the best one in town and found Faidley Seafood. If you love a good crab cake you will not be    disappointed here.  I have ate great crab cakes in Key West and Boston, but this place might just be on the best ones I have had yet. If you follow me on Instagram then you probably saw the picture
.




4 comments:

  1. Bummer about not getting that job. It sucks to be so close but at least it means that they liked you. Hopefully you are a step closer. I would totally love to do the whole Edgar Allen Poe tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved going to Poe's house #wordnerdprobs. I've never been to Baltimore but want to go. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an interesting read and now you've given me some suggestions about what to do if I ever go to Baltimore!

    I also got a rejection e-mail this week without even having had an interview...BOOOOOO! I know how you feel. I'm sending good vibes your way and hoping that you find something soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to go to Poe's house...that sounds so cool! For a class in middle school a friend and I memorized The Raven, and I use to have Annabel Lee memorized (I can remember most of it) :) The crabcakes alone would be worth the drive :)

    ReplyDelete