Image Map

I don't know and it's ok

August 01, 2014



I have to be honest and admit that I have been in a mental funk the last couple days. Despite this not being my first venture into the world of unemployment (or funemployment as it sometimes called), I was stuck in a pity party of one. I did have the bright spot of a phone interview on Tuesday for a non-profit position that would be a great fit for my skills and background. I paced around my apartment trying to give the best answers possible to advance to the next round. For some reason I can't stay still when I talk on the phone for interviews, it must be my nerves or something.


Tomorrow marks exactly two months since we (ok Ty) pulled up the UHaul to our new place after a long and draining 13 hour drive from Orlando. That is just 60 days, which when you put into perspective how long it takes to settle into a new place and make a new life for yourself, isn't very long.  A quality phone conversation with my mom also helped but this truth into my view. Funny how even at almost 33 years old she stills knows how to calm my worries.  Sometimes I really miss having my old best friend in my life but as I have grown into adulthood my mom really has become more of a best friend to me in many ways. Today I am grateful for having that in my life.


I have also been reading Carry On, Warrior (great book by the way) which has helped shift my pessimism about the uncertainty in my life to making peace of where I am in my life at this moment. I think this quote from the book does a good job of describing how to embrace these periods in our lives.


“I think one of the keys to happiness is accepting that I am never going to be perfectly happy. Life is uncomfortable. So I might as well get busy loving the people around me. I’m going to stop trying so hard to decide whether they are the “right people” for me and just take deep breaths and love my neighbors. I’m going to take care of my friends. I’m going to find peace in the ’burbs. I’m going to quit chasing happiness long enough to notice it smiling right at me.” ― Glennon MeltonCarry On, Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed

2 comments:

  1. Hope the interview went well. It just takes time...hopefully you will find the right fit soon! Job hunting sucks and it is hard when you are having to deal with settling in, finding friends, and looking for a job all at once. It will get better and it sounds like you are getting in a good mindset!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's impossible NOT to be in a funk in your situation at least sometimes. It's a really rough things. As much as I wish it weren't jobs are needed. You will get one. Someone will decide that you are the perfect fit. It looks like it's just gonna take some time.

    ReplyDelete