Image Map

Tales of the Thrift: DC edition

August 10, 2015

It has been way too long since I went out thrifting between moving into the city in May and going on our road trip last month I hadn't been on a thrift hauling far too long. This weekend I decided to head out to the U Street area of DC to check out a few thrift stores.



Martha's Outfitters

I have been to this shop a few times before and always find something god. This store is part of a local charity called Martha's Table and the proceeds go back into the DC community.  This store is on the small side and does not have any fitting rooms, so be prepared to try clothes on in the corner. My first visit here I scored a Marc Jacobs long sleeved top for just $4.00.  This trip I was looking for fall clothes and did not leave empty handed. I found a cute Zara lightweight v-neck sweater for $3.49, a long sleeve scoop neck Cythnia Rowley shirt for $ 2.49 and a Tory Burch navy sweater for $3.49. When I saw the Tory Burch in good condition and in my size I immediately scooped it up and I'm glad I did.

Positives: Flat pricing similar to Goodwills and offers a good number of designer finds.

Negatives: No dressing rooms and on the small side.




Crossroads Trading Company

This is a national chain very similar to Plato's Closet where they buy gently used clothes and give you either store credit or cash. I tried to sell my stuff to Plato's in the past with minimal luck, but since the store was just down the street from Martha's Outfitters I figured why not check it out. Personally I found the prices to be high for used mostly H&M and Forever 21. But to be fair I am used to lower thrift prices from places like Goodwill. They have a large store that is very well organized and has multiple fitting rooms. They did have half-off stickers on some of the items and I picked up a cute Gap blouse that was originally $10.50 for just $5.25.

Positives: Wide and organized selection and dressing rooms available.

Negatives: The prices are higher than going to a Goodwill or Salvation Army.



No comments:

Post a Comment